The Pros and Cons of Debt Consolidation
When you get into financial difficulty, life really becomes tough for you. Usually you don’t seek debt help until your situation becomes desperate. If you are in debt, then you need to improve your already bad situation from getting worse by consolidating your debts. Debt consolidation is a popular service that gathers all your debts to one place with one interest rate and one monthly payment as opposed to multiple payments.
The pros of debt consolidation
1. One monthly installment: The greatest advantage of debt consolidation is that you make one monthly payment to the debt consolidation company every month. The company then disburses the funds to all your creditors. So you don’t have to make multiple payments to your individual creditors at different interest rates.
2. Reduced interest rates: The consolidation company negotiates with your creditors on your behalf to reduce the interest rate on the loan. Then all your loans are compiled into one affordable monthly payment, which becomes easier and faster for you to repay.
3. No harassment from creditors: Once you are enrolled with a consolidation company, they tackle with all your creditors, and thus your peace of mind is restored
4. Late fees eliminated: When you delay in making your payments, late fees are charged and added on your outstanding amount. The debt consolidation company after negotiating with your creditors waives off your late fees.
5. Credit score boosts: You make a single monthly payment to the debt consolidation company to be distributed among your different creditors. When your payments are made properly, your credit score boosts up.
The cons of debt consolidation
Getting into debt is quite gradual for many of us, but getting out of debt is quite a difficult process. For individuals facing debt problems, debt consolidation may be the best solution. This gives the debtor the ability to manage all his debts by combining multiple monthly payments into one payment according to his affordability.